Thursday, August 30, 2012

Learning To Give

Day 6
Quote: "Generosity with strings is not generosity: It is a deal." - Marya Mannes

People like to think they are helpful and giving, but in reality, many people are usually looking for something in return. Isn't that what is expected? You do something for someone and you automatically expect something back. But are you really helping someone else? Or are you just helping yourself by putting yourself in a position to make a personal gain. 

I'm not innocent in this matter. For example, at work I have offered to do things to help out without asking (verbally) for something in return. However, there's a part of me that would like people to notice and WANT to do something for me in return. And sometimes I even find myself annoyed if I don't hear even a 'Thank You'. I know I need to work on my thinking in this area. 

And there are times that  I balk at the sound/thought of donating money to charities. Not because I don't think they're a good cause, but because I'm barely getting by financially the way it is. I couldn't possibly give some away. Is this me being selfish? Partly...yes. Instead, I should try to find things to do that would not cost any money. And you should, too.

I challenge you, readers, to go out and and learn to give. Do something for someone else without even the slightest thought of getting something in return. I guarantee that you will feel better about yourself for doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment